TAKE THE NEXT STEP
Earn Your Master of Professional Studies in Security Management
- Campus/Online Combo
In a continually high-tech world with the demand for strong national and international security, take the lead in the growing security sector with a graduate degree from Tulane School of Professional Advancement. Gain the practical skills required to protect businesses and corporations from terrorism, criminal acts, and disasters by earning an entirely online Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Security Management.
Core courses cover a variety of topics such as risk management and threat assessment, emergency management administration, corporate security, and physical protection systems. Elective options include intelligence analysis and critical thinking, homeland security and approaches to counter-terrorism, and disaster communications and concludes with a capstone project.
Balance Your Schedule on Your Time
Balancing your personal life, career, and a master’s degree may be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be impossible. Take the next step in your education with the convenience of an entirely online degree from Tulane SoPA. Create a more flexible schedule and be in control of your education without putting any areas of your life on hold.
Take the Lead in Security Management
Whether you’re currently working as a first responder, in a hospital, or for a private security company, you can take the next step in your career with the Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Security Management at the Tulane School of Professional Advancement. Our program will prepare you for leadership roles in security and risk management within corporations, hospitals, athletic events, schools, and universities. Those with experience in the military or as a first responder can apply their knowledge and enhance their technical and interpersonal skills through this program. As a Silver Award Military Friendly® recipient, our office of Veterans Affairs is committed to your success and can connect you to educational benefits, learning resources, and financial aid.
As a security studies graduate, you’ll be ready to pursue a career as a:
- Risk Management Analyst
- Corporate Security Director or Manager
- Director of University and School Security and Preparedness
- Director of Hospital Security and Preparedness
- Director of Athletic or Event Security
- Director of Business Continuity
- Security Analyst or Manager
Work With Current Practitioners to Establish Relevant Skills
Our instructors bring extensive backgrounds in security, intelligence, and law enforcement to the program courses. You will have the opportunity to study security management from men and women with first-hand experience in both government and private sectors. The program faculty consists of workers in the FBI, law enforcement intelligence, emergency response, and more.
Students applying to the MPS in Security Management program must hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Applications to the program must include the following:
- A statement of 250-500 words discussing their background beyond academic coursework, and how the program at Tulane University can assist with the achievement of their professional objectives.
- Official college transcripts from each college attended. Typically, successful applicants will have at least a “B” (3.00) average in all coursework taken.
Applicants may be conditionally admitted and allowed to take one class in their first semester, in which a B or better must be earned to be fully admitted to the program. Students who do not meet the 3.00-grade point average in their undergraduate coursework but who possess sufficient professional experience in the security studies field may be admitted provisionally into the program.
Completed applications are reviewed by the MPS Director and Admissions Committee throughout the year.
To begin the admissions process, complete the online application.
The School of Professional Advancement awards the MPS in Security Management degree following the successful completion of 11 graduate courses comprised of nine core courses, one elective, and one capstone course. No thesis is required. In order to earn the MPS, a student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00. Students must also submit an application for degree, available from the School of Professional Advancement Dean’s office, at the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to complete all required coursework.
Students in good standing may petition to transfer a maximum of nine credit hours (three courses) of graduate coursework from other colleges or universities to the MPS degree. However, only courses with grades of B or better, completed within five years of enrolling in the MPS program, may be considered for transfer credit.
The MPS consists of nine core graduate courses that encompass various security sector topics such as emergency and risk management, threat assessment, cyber threats and homeland security, corporate security, financial security, and more. The program concludes with a capstone project that synthesizes the full range of knowledge, skills, and abilities students developed over the entirety of their program. Students will develop a business-based project, creating a security proposal for a business or local government sector entity.
- Introduction to Emergency Management
- Business Continuity
- Sport/Event Security and Response
- Risk Management and Threat Assessment
- Emergency Management Administration
- Cyber Threats and Homeland Security
- Corporate Security
- Physical Protection Systems
- Leadership in Security Management
- Financial Security
- Choice of Three Electives:
- Intelligence Analysis and Critical Thinking
- Homeland Security and Approaches to Counter-Terrorism
- Disaster Communications
- Graduate: $1,000/credit
- Non-SoPA courses that are not cross-listed: $2,116/credit
- Graduate Application Fee: $50
- Uptown & Elmwood Academic Support Fee: $60
- MS Coast Academic Support Fee: $25
- MS Coast Student Support Fee: $10
- Uptown and Elmwood students are assessed a student activity fee of $12 per three-credit course or $48 maximum student activity fee for four or more courses
We strive to make our degree programs accessible to a diverse range of working professionals. Explore available financial assistance and discount programs.
To download an e-brochure on our MPS in Security Management, please enter your details below.