Types of Financial Assistance Available
There are three main types of aid available to students—grants, loans, and scholarships. Grants, such as the Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, are funds that do not need to be repaid. Available federal loans include Federal Direct Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Direct PLUS Loans, as well as alternative, credit-based loans that are not part of the federal program. Scholarships from SoPA are in the form of tuition discounts or lump sums applied towards tuition costs. Your financial advisor will help assist you in determining which type of aid is available and best suited to your pursuits. View our costs for undergraduate and graduate tuition, as well as associated fees and other expenses.
SoPA offers several scholarship programs, including discounts on tuition, student scholarships, and external scholarships.
20% Tuition Discount Scholarships*
A Tulane education can be affordable at SoPA. We offer a 20% tuition discount on undergraduate, graduate, and post-baccalaureate level-courses to students who meet the following requirements:
- Active and retired public safety personnel (firefighter, police officer, or paramedic)
- Full-time educators and paraprofessionals
- Veterans and active-duty military personnel**
- Graduates of HBCUs and Minority Serving Institutions
- Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) members
- Tulane alumni
- Greater New Orleans City, Parish, Sheriff’s Office, and Housing Authority employees
- Adults over the age of 60
- Tulane SoPA adjunct faculty currently teaching a course at SoPA
- National League of Cities University partnership referral to the MPA program
- New Leaders Council partnership referral to the MPA program
* 20% discounts cannot be combined with each other (i.e. a student can only claim one type of 20% discount), but may be combined with scholarships. If 100% of your tuition is covered by a Tulane tuition waiver or scholarship, you are not eligible for a tuition discount.
** Both veterans and active duty military service members must provide a copy of your award letter indicating you have exhausted all of your educational benefits in order to receive this discount.
20% tuition discount form
Early Enrollment Scholarship
The early enrollment scholarship is available to all first-time students entering SoPA who register for their first semester of classes by the scholarship deadlines. This is a one-time scholarship and the amount of the scholarship will be applied towards their first semester's tuition.
The early enrollment scholarship is $500 for graduate students and $200 for undergraduate students.
SoPA students who enroll in courses by the following dates are eligible for a one-time scholarship. Graduate students will receive $500 and undergraduate students will receive $200. Register for classes early and save money on tuition!
Students transferring credit into a Tulane SoPA undergraduate program are eligible to receive a $500 tuition scholarship for three consecutive semesters, for a maximum scholarship of $1,500. Students must:
- Indicate on their application that they are a transfer student
- Submit a transcript from a prior undergraduate institution with a grade, credit hours and a course title
- Show credits from a regionally accredited institution
SoPA’s Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) honor society scholarship helps fill the gap between tuition and mandatory fees, and awarded financial aid. It can pay for tuition and eligible fee-related expenses at Tulane, and is calculated after all other scholarships, discounts and financial aid for which a student is eligible have been accounted.
The scholarship is for up to $1,500 per semester to Tulane SoPA, or $3,000 a year. Visit the PTK page for more information.
We have eight scholarship programs designated for current students. Click below for information on the requirements for each scholarship.
Tulane SoPA also participates in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program for eligible students enrolling in our master degree programs. Our military benefits page offers detailed information.
Some students may be eligible for multiple tuition discounts. Students may only claim one discount. Stacking discounts is not allowed.