TAKE THE NEXT STEP
Earn Your Master of Professional Studies in Emergency Management
- Campus/Online Combo
Grow your skills in the field of emergency management with an advanced degree available entirely online through the Tulane School of Professional Advancement. The Master of Professional Studies in Emergency Management consists of nine core courses in a range of academic disciplines such as homeland security and approaches to counter-terrorism, emergency management administration, and disaster communications.
Depending on their specific interests and professional goals, students will also have the choice of taking one elective course in sport/event security and response or leadership, influence, and decision making in disasters. Upon completion, the program finishes with a career-focused capstone course that will allow you to integrate and apply key concepts through a business-based project conducted at a public or non-profit sector entity.
Flexibility to Earn Your Master’s From Anywhere
Tulane SoPA can help connect you with the resources to make going back to school your reality. As an entirely online program, the MPS in Emergency Management includes asynchronous learning that allows you to complete assignments at your own pace. Additionally, you can study with students from across the country, enhancing your professional network and connecting you with diverse perspectives.
Apply Your Frontline Experience to Create Systemic Change
A Master of Professional Studies in Emergency Management degree from the Tulane School of Professional Advancement will give you the skills and knowledge to play a leading role in protecting your community from both natural and human-made hazards and disasters. This program is ideal for individuals with front-line experience, including first responders, community volunteers, and veterans or active-duty military members. You’ll build on your real-world experience to develop the strategic and analytical skills to plan for and prevent emergencies within complex organizations such as corporations, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations.
As an emergency studies graduate, you’ll be ready to pursue a career as:
- Emergency Management Director
- Operations Specialist
- Business Continuity Planner
- Safety Manager
- Training Coordinator
- Federal Coordinating Officer
- Emergency Management Site Inspector
- Hospital Emergency Manager
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Manager
Learn From Industry Experts & Build Your Professional Network
The Emergency & Security Studies Faculty at Tulane SoPA consists of industry experts, with extensive experience and knowledge in threat assessment, law enforcement intelligence, and emergency preparedness and management. In addition to building your professional network through your capstone project, you’ll also build career-ready skills in business continuity, leadership, and safety preparation tactics for large-scale public spaces and events.
Students applying to the MPS in Emergency Management program must hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Applications to the program must include the following:
- A statement of 250-500 words discussing their background beyond academic coursework, and how the program will assist them to achieve professional objectives.
- Official college transcripts from each college attended. Typically, successful applicants will have at least a “B” (3.00) average in all coursework taken.
Applicants may be conditionally admitted and allowed to take one class in their first semester, in which a B or better must be earned to be fully admitted to the program. Students who do not meet the 3.00-grade point average in their undergraduate coursework but who possess sufficient professional experience in the security studies field may be admitted provisionally into the program.
Completed applications are reviewed by the MPS in Emergency Management Director, Dr. Michael Wallace and Admissions Committee throughout the year.
To begin the admissions process, complete the online application.
The School of Professional Advancement awards the MPS in Emergency Management degree following the successful completion of 11 graduate courses comprised of nine core courses, one elective, and one capstone course. No thesis is required. In order to earn the MPS, a student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00. Students must also submit an application for degree, available from the School of Professional Advancement Dean’s office, at the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to complete all required coursework.
Students in good standing may petition to transfer a maximum of nine credit hours (three courses) of graduate coursework from other colleges or universities to the MPS degree. However, only courses with grades of B or better, completed within five years of enrolling in the MPS program, may be considered for transfer credit.
The MPS in Emergency Management consists of nine core courses, one elective, and one capstone course.
- Introduction to Emergency Management
- Health and Medical Issues in Emergency Management
- Homeland Security and Approaches to Counter-Terrorism
- Business Continuity
- Emergency Planning
- Risk Management and Threat Assessment
- Disaster Communications
- Emergency Management Administration
- Cyber Threats and Homeland Security
- Choice of: Sport/Event Security and Response, or Leadership, Influence, and Decision Making in Disasters
- Graduate: $1,000/credit
- Non-SoPA courses that are not cross-listed: $2,116/credit
- Graduate Application Fee: $50
- Uptown & Elmwood Academic Support Fee: $60
- MS Coast Academic Support Fee: $25
- MS Coast Student Support Fee: $10
- Uptown and Elmwood students are assessed a student activity fee of $12 per three-credit course or $48 maximum student activity fee for four or more courses
We strive to make our degree programs accessible to a diverse range of working professionals. Explore available financial assistance and discount programs.
To download an e-brochure on our MPS in Emergency Management, please enter your details below.