Academic Policies - New Orleans, LA, Biloxi, MS - Tulane School Of Professional Advancement Skip to main content
Tulane Home Tulane Home

Apply now! Undergraduate and graduate applications are now open for summer and fall 2018.

Academic Policies

Transfer of Credit from Other Colleges

Students who wish to transfer credits earned at other colleges and universities must have official transcripts sent directly to SoPA. SoPA will transfer only those credits earned at another college or university accredited by a regional accreditation authority (such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) at the time the courses were taken. Up to 60 credits may be transferred from a regionally accredited college or university. Coursework from foreign universities will be referred to the Center for International Studies for evaluation and translation, if necessary.

Individual academic departments at Tulane may have rules governing the transfer of credits from community or junior colleges that may affect students. For specifics, contact an academic advisor. No more than 27 credits of business coursework may be transferred to SoPA; no more than 27 credits in business may be applied to any bachelor's degree at SoPA.

Work from such regionally accredited colleges is transferred at the value in credits/hours for which it was awarded if a grade of C- or higher was earned and if an equivalent Tulane course exists. Credits earned while enrolled at other schools of Tulane University apply to degree programs within SoPA, though there are distinctions and differences in applying the credit to degree programs. Consult your academic advisor about these distinctions.

Students transferring from a school using the quarter, rather than the semester, system are awarded two-thirds of a semester hour for each quarter hour credit. The transfer of credit from institutions not belonging to a regional accrediting body is at the discretion of SoPA. Courses transferred from other institutions are not included in the calculation of grade-point average.

Students with transfer credits should see an academic advisor before the end of their first semester to have their credits evaluated. When transcripts are received, students will be notified via a receipt of transcript acknowledgement sent to their Tulane email accounts. Students who do not receive a transcript receipt in a reasonable time frame should contact the SoPA Records Manager to check the status. Transfer credit requested for academic work done more than 10 years ago is subject to review.

Students wishing to take courses at another institution during the summer must first receive approval from the SoPA associate dean for academic affairs office and from the appropriate department.

Changes to Academic Records

No changes to course enrollment status, grades or grade types will be made more than three years after the close of the semester in which the course was offered. This rule places a three-year time limit on the retroactive adding or dropping of courses, or requesting grade changes.

Retention of Academic Records

Academic records will be retained for at least eight years from the time of first enrollment of that student cohort. For most students, this will mean that their records will be kept for four years after graduation. This restriction does not apply to records kept by the registrar's office; those records are retained permanently.

Add/Drop Policy

Students wishing to add or drop courses should consult the academic calendar for deadlines and instructions. Failure to make schedule adjustments promptly and accurately may result in financial or academic penalties.

Schedule adjustments are done online during the two weeks following the first day of the semester.

Courses can be dropped online up to the last day to drop during the semester.  If a student wishes to drop all of his or her courses during a semester, he or she must submit a resignation form (see Withdrawal section below.)



A student who has registered for a semester and plans to withdraw from the university by dropping all his or her courses must complete a resignation form.


A withdrawal from courses for medical reasons requires an official letter of recommendation from a physician in the Student Health Center and the approval of the SoPA Dean's office. Students seeking a medical withdrawal must report to their academic advisor before going to the Student Health Center for an evaluation. Grades of W are assigned when a student withdraws from one or more courses for medical reasons after the last day to drop without record.

A partial medical withdrawal (from some but not all courses) or incomplete grades in one or more courses may be permitted upon the recommendation of the Student Health Center. Withdrawals from individual courses for medical reasons after the published deadline for dropping a course will require supporting justification. Partial withdrawals are not given during the last two weeks of classes. The deadline for medical withdrawals from all courses is the last day of classes each term. Requests for retroactive medical withdrawals normally are not approved.

Refunds will be based on the official date of withdrawal.

SoPA may require a medical clearance before a student can continue studies in a semester that begins after administrative action has been taken on behalf of the student for medical reasons.


A student may be required to withdraw from any course or from the university, temporarily or permanently, for any of the following reasons: possibility of danger to the health of the student or to that of other students if enrollment is continued; refusal to obey regulations; violation of the Honor Code or other serious misconduct; unsatisfactory class attendance; or work below the required scholastic standards.

Academic Enforcement

The quality of each student's work will be monitored at the end of each semester. Enforcement consists of two distinct steps: probation and dismissal.


Any student who does not meet the minimum cumulative grade-point average as shown in the table below will be placed on academic probation. The status of probation lasts until it is removed as a result of academic improvement or ended by dismissal. Students who are placed on probation are notified in writing that their academic progress is insufficient. Students on probation may enroll in no more than seven credits. As a further condition, all coursework taken while on probation must be passed with at least the grade of C. Students on probation cannot be given a recommendation of good academic standing to another institution for purpose of cross-enrollment or summer school admission. Transfer students admitted on probation to SoPA may enroll in no more than seven credits. In addition, they must earn at least a 1.50 grade-point average during their first term of enrollment or they will be dismissed.


SoPA students who do not meet the minimum cumulative GPA for academic good standing for three consecutive semesters, or who do not have a minimum cumulative GPA of 1.75 after attempting 24 credits, will be dismissed. Dismissal from the university is for a period of at least one semester. A second dismissal is for a period of one calendar year and cannot be appealed. Coursework taken at another college or university during the dismissal period is not transferable to SoPA


Any student who has been dismissed from SoPA has the right to petition the SoPA Academic Performance and Petitions Committee. Students who return after their dismissal period are placed on academic probation.


Written petitions from students who have been denied registration under these regulations are evaluated by the SoPA Academic Performance and Petitions Committee.

Successful petitioners will be readmitted on the terms and conditions specified by the committee, which may include limitation on the number of courses, specification of courses that must be taken, progress that must be achieved, the time within which terms and conditions must be met, and classification of academic standing.


Students who are requesting changes to their academic record outside of the current term’s academic calendar should consult with their academic advisor.